Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Home Alone

Let me preface this post with this: I really do love being home with my husband. There is nothing better than a nice evening at home, with the two of us, quality time.

Now to the real heart of it:

I used to love living alone. My place, my space...my dog...my books...my relaxing zone. But I've never been one to spend much time there. Just every once in awhile when I want to escape. Which was, at most, 1-2 hours a week. The rest of the time, I'm on the go - hiking, biking, socializing, swimming, running, jumping (ok, not really jumping...you get the picture).

Now fast forward to married life. We both live in (formerly)my super small house, with two super sized dogs. Which most of the time, I'm completely fine with.

Except for the fact that I can count on one hand (actually - two fingers) - the number of times I've been home alone. Yep, TWO. We've been married 15 months. I repeat for effect - alone TWO times!

My husband is just a 'home' person. He'd rather be there than hiking, biking, or doing any other activity that you might find me engaging in at any time that I'm not working. He could be happy staying there for a number of days on end. (And sidenote - in his unemployment, IS doing just that). And while I love that he is home most of the time, with open arms to welcome me, I have to admit that those few, few times that I get some 'home-alone' time there, I am just in love with it.

One of those times was last night, and I'm still on a natural high from it! (Nothing like a little deprivation to make you appreciate something). He has decided to take a class, so this not only happened last night, but will happen once a week for the next 4 months! If I do basic math correctly (which I should, as it is my profession), this equates to approximately 16 evenings that I have to enjoy this time. Yay!

So, I have set some basic (this is debatable) goals for myself in this time:

1. Learn Spanish (didn't say I wasn't ambitious!) - I now have Rosetta Stone, so I'm thinking this should take me...what, 3 evenings? ;)

2. Study for the MCAT. This could be a whole new post, but I'm toying with changing careers to something that is more fitting to me than an engineer. So I'm thinking a Doctor. Never too late to learn something new ;) (maybe I need even more luck for this one)

3. Learn to use less parenthesis in my writing. (...I didn't say this one would be easy either!)

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Did you sell your house!!?? WTF? We are SO behind on catching up. PLEASE come see my during the 4th. :(